Saturday 14 May 2011

Jam and Chocolate Doughnut Muffins

Jam/Chocolate Doughnut Muffins

I don't like doughnuts. For some reason they give me this funny feeling in my throat (except for Krispy Kremes, something to do with their being baked first, perhaps). So it seems strange that this recipe from Taste.com.au should get me so excited. Maybe I like the IDEA of doughnuts. I mean, they're sweet, sugary and fried - how could I not like them? Whatever the reason, when I first came across this recipe I couldn't wait to make them. They just looked so darn good!

Too bad I was a little disappointed with the recipe. Mine didn't end up with the crust like the one in the photo accompanying the recipe (and I can't for the life of me work out how they got it), and there is no way there is only half a teaspoon of jam in that muffin. But the recipe got such a good review from over a hundred people so maybe it was me? Whatever.

That all being said, my muffins weren't actually a complete failure. They were quite enjoyable, actually, but they weren't mind-blowingly amazing, which I was kinda expecting. What I really felt let down by was the lack of oozing jam (you know, like jam doughnuts. The jam goes EVERYWHERE!). There wasn't much at all, even though I'd doubled the amount of jam.

Jam/Chocolate Doughnut Muffins
Very unexciting

But, I was really brave and decided to try something new (my mum would be so proud). I grabbed my jam, a snap lock bag and a knife, and I poked a hole in the top of the muffins so I could pipe more jam into them. So. Good. They even looked a little like those jam doughnuts I was aiming for! Next time I make these I'll just pipe the jam in at the end - that way I won't risk overworking the batter while I try to bury the jam, and it will be so much faster and easier. I might even try mini-muffins.

Jam/Chocolate Doughnut Muffins
That's better!

I also made some with Nutella instead of the jam, but it sank to the bottom of the batter and went hard. So I just piped in some chocolate ice-cream topping and they were all better. And oozy.

Jam/Chocolate Doughnut Muffins
Nom.

Jam or Chocolate Doughnut Muffins
adapted from Taste.com.au
Makes 12 muffins

Jam/Chocolate Doughnut Muffins Ingredients
You will need...

300g (2 cups) self-raising flour
2/3 cup caster sugar, plus extra (see below)
80ml (1/3 cup) vegetable oil
1 egg, lightly beaten
175ml milk
2 tsp white vinegar
1 tsp vanilla extract
Jam or chocolate sauce (or whatever sauce you'd like to use)
50g unsalted butter, melted
2 tsp ground cinnamon and 1/4 cup caster sugar, combined in a small bowl

Preheat oven to 180C. Grease or line a 12-hole muffin tin

Sift flour into a large bowl. Add 2/3 cup caster sugar and whisk together.

Combine milk and vinegar and allow to sit for a couple of minutes. Add vegetable oil, egg and vanilla extract. Add to flour mixture and stir until JUST combined. Don't worry if there are a few lumps - if you overmix your muffins will be tough.

Doughnut muffin collage
Ready to mix / Adding the liquids
Don't overmix! / Dollops of jam and Nutella (if that's what you decide)

IF YOU WANT TO COOK THE JAM/SAUCE IN THE MUFFIN: Spoon enough mixture into each hole to cover the bottom. Top with a teaspoonful of jam/sauce. Spoon the rest of the batter over the top. Cook for 12-15 minutes, or until the tops are springy and are lightly golden brown. Once the muffins have cooled slightly, brush the tops with butter and dip in the cinnamon sugar mixture (I also added dusting chocolate to the tops of the muffins with chocolate in them).

IF YOU WANT TO PIPE THE JAM/SAUCE IN AFTER THE MUFFINS ARE COOKED: Divide the muffin mixture between the holes and bake for 12-15 minutes, or until the tops are springy and are lightly golden brown. Once the muffins have cooled slightly, brush the tops with butter and dip in the cinnamon sugar mixture. Cut a small hole in the top with a knife. Put your jam/sauce into a piping bag and insert the tip into the muffin. Fill until the jam/sauce comes out the top slightly.

Enjoy warm!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...